Structured Research Experience (SRE) in Statistics
The SRE in Statistics program is coordinated by Dr. Gaynanova, and is designed to prepare students for conducting more traditional statistical research with faculty, as well as improve students’ communication and programming skills. The program is more similar to classroom-like experience than traditional research, with regular group meetings, assigned readings and research task deadlines. Through the program, each student will complete an entry research project focused on design and reproducibility of simulation studies, going through the full research cycle from reading the literature to writing a final report. The students participate in the program for the duration of one semester.
This summer 2021 program will provide funding for 3 students to participate in SRE and assist in its development. At the successful completion of this program, each student participant will be awarded $1500. Students should expect to work an estimated 10 hours/week for about 10 weeks of the summer. To be considered for this program, and its resulting funding, please ensure you meet the eligibility requirements and follow the application procedure below.
Students interested in the SRE in Statistics program must meet the following criteria:
- Currently seeking a BS in Statistics at Texas A&M University
- Successful completion of STAT 211 with a B or better
- Knowledge of R programming language
- Access to internet and technology in order to perform project remotely
Applicants must provide all materials in order to be considered:
- Submit an application Google form. The form will collect demographic information, information about coursework, any prior research experience, an essay question on why you want to participate, and ask you to upload the following documents.
- Unofficial transcript copy (pdf)
- Resume or CV (pdf)
- Example of an R code created by the student (.R file)
The deadline to submit all materials for Summer 2021 is May 21, 2021 by 11:59 PM. All application materials and supporting documents must be submitted by this deadline to be considered.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Gaynanova (email@example.com).